Introduction

Saturday, August 11, 2012

August 7, 1862.  Tina spent the day with us & Henry & George with her boys.  I wrote to Winston.  After I had gone down to tea rec a letter from Winston from Mr Smith.  Mother rec one from Willie & Davis.  W. was on his way to Chattanooga.  Tina heard of the death of her Father.



[Rebecca] August 7, 1862. A very warm morng. Mrs S- and Minnie come to pass the day – H & G go over to visit her boys – Fine shower in the afternoon.



[Octavia Stephens to Winston Stephens]

                                                                                                Rose Cottage Aug 7, 1862

"My own love"

                I have just finished my breakfast and sit down to begin my letter as I expect Tina over this morning and I want to write as much as possible this morning so that nothing may prevent my having as long a letter as possible ready for Mr Shook tomorrow, I am afraid I can not make up a long one this time as I have written two such long ones lately & there is so little going on that there is too much sameness to make a long letter every time and this paper is so large that it makes a tolerable letter look short.  We are all about the same as usual.  Henry complains a good deal, Mother thinks it on account, or connected with his voice changing as that has been the case for some little time, he has taken medicine two or three times, but seems that same, complains of his head.  I have felt better the past two days than I have for sometime.

                Rosa is sitting by me rocking and making believe that a piece of paper she has is a letter from you, & keeps saying, "ead pa pa" for read pa pa, she is very cunning sometimes, but oh she is so mischievous gives me more trouble than a little.  I dont know what I shall do with her, she is so hardheaded, I fear she will give us a good deal of trouble.  I must say I can not look forward to the addition of another one with much pleasure, for what shall I do with two,  when one seems to keep me in a perfect boil most of the time, and seems to me I loose instead of gaining patience.  Day before yesterday Rosa fell out of the dining room door just missing the platform and yesterday fell off the steps just missing if she did not strike the duck trough.  she seemed to feel badly yesterday and Henry who picked her up thought she struck, but her head did not look at all red, I would not let her go to sleep until her usual bedtime, but she cried out a good many times last night, and took up most of our bed, as she came in there quite early.  Mother & I do not sleep together now, when she was sick she slept in her room & we have only slept together one night since, as it was warm we gave it up until cooler weather.  I like being alone as I cant have you.  In speaking of Rosa I forgot to tell you some of her sayings the other day I was spreading the corn out to dry, & she was sitting in your chair rocking in the house when she said very soberly, Ma Ma "payin torn" thinking I suppose that I ought not to put my hands in it as I would not allow her to play in it.  I was in the Kitchen the other evening when the first thing I heard her calling Tivie, Tivie, & she says it so cunningly.  Yesterday she had the cat rather tight around the neck so that her teeth showed & she said cat "laugh" and in the morning she walked up to me & said Ma Ma "pitty morning," the morning before Mother & I were saying what pretty mornings we had now, she has now got down & is hunting for some mischief.

                Well I do think I have written all this without saying one word about your letter received yesterday by Felix.  you may be assured I was delighted to get it.  I dont know why but all day yesterday I could not help hoping that you would surprise us, & every time I would hear the gate I would look up hoping, but not really expecting.  Tina is coming, she is in the gate. I intended not writing after Tina came but she tells me that Mizzelle is to pass to day so I suppose Shook will come too, although he said the 8th which is tomorrow. Mizzelle told Clark he had come to the conclusion that he had not allowed himself time enough so I will have to hurry on for fear they may come before I finish, as you said you were a “little jealous” I can say I was as glad to see Felix coming yesterday as though it had been Mr Smith or most white men for I felt sure he had a letter for me from you, & sure enough & a paper too for which we thank you.  I did not ask Felix many questions as he left while I was reading my letter & I supposed he was in a hurry to get home.  Sophie is much improved, she can walk about now.  after I wrote how sick she was the trouble left her head and went into her body & since then she has been better.  I am so glad that there is no small pox in your company and hope there will not be, & if there is any hope you may escape.  I have not much faith in vaccination, as I know one whose arm took finely not long before he had it, and I was pronounced proof against it, as mine did not take and we both had it.  I hope that Providence will prevent your having it.

                I hope that General Finegan will make some pleasant improvements down there and not go to forming into regiments and sending off as I fear he will.  I hope he will arrange it so that you can pay us a visit for oh you do not know how much I want to see you, it would be so good to have you at home once more.  Why dont France & England hurry up & help us.  I am out of all kind of patience with them, it has been talked of so long.  I fear the war is not to end so soon, as I see the Yankees are getting more fierce. Why did you not tell me how that paper had complimented your company? You never mentioned anything of your piece being in the paper, was it ever put in?

                Mr. Smith has not arrived yet is expected today. He is in Pilika & would have been up yesterday but Frank Sams was sick. Mother is now anxious for Mr. Smith to come as he was to go to Mrs. Maxey’s and get a daguerreotype of Willie which he had sent from Mobile & Davis left with Mrs. Maxey. I hope you will go to see the old Lady not the young before you come I guess she thinks a little strangely of you now, as you have been there so long and so near. You must be greatly taken at the Crespo House as you ask me again about them.  I dont know about girls, but I know the family are low Minorcans, I used to know some girls of the family years ago, they are all married, were long before I was.  I hope there is no particular attraction there. Mrs. Wallace has been married four times and I think all her husbands but one are alive, they were a few years ago, they always lived near us in Jacksonville. If you know Mrs. Foster’s house (at the side of Mrs. Reed’s if you know that) you will see one of the houses in which I passed a great deal of my little girlhood, the house opposite to Mrs. Reeds where we lived was burned down several years ago, I passed my happiest days in Jacksonville in those two houses. Do you know whether Mrs. Foster has gone North or not?

                Do you get any melons or any kind of fruit?  we have not had a melon for a week or more, we are not going to make any pumpkins or Kushaws this year.  Burrel and Tom are now working on the dam, the others in the New ground.  I guess things are going on as well as could be expected.  Sarah's baby seems to be quite a smart little thing and very good so far.  the other young stock are doing well.

                Do you hear from Davis? Mother has not heard from him in two weeks, she hears from Willie sometimes, we received a paper from him this week. She received a letter from Cousin Julia this week, she said the 5th regiment was to pass through Grooversville in a few days, hoped you & Davis were not in that one as she did not want you to go off so far, but if you had to go wanted you to pass there. She says Uncle Lewis is in the candle business with Mr. Osgood in Savannah. Clark is alligatoring a great deal now, he intends going to Dunlawton in two weeks for salt and to look at the lands. I believe Capt. Canova has just returned from there, he has gone if not returned. Tina & Mrs. Dean paid Mrs. Canova a visit last week, & liked them (Mrs. C- & her sister) very much. Mr. Soule is working out at the Priest’s, I think Clark has not seen him unless he saw him this week. Mr. Abrams now lives at Ft Brook, Clark thinks him the best man to build the mill. If there is a Post Office in Jacksonville you will find two letters there from me as Clark sent them there not knowing where else. Mr. Shook has not come yet but I think I will close now anyhow as I think you have enough of me by this time. Mother sends love & says we were glad to hear from you yesterday & she hopes to see you in a week or ten days. I shall look for you next week, have been looking forward to next week anyhow & Felix thinks you may come next week.  Well good bye Rosa is asleep but I send a kiss for her, and you may be assured you have the best affection of

                                                                                                Your own

                                                                                                Tivie



August 8, 1862. Mr. Shook took my letter to Winston. Georgie went to town to get a daguerreotype of brother Willie which Mr. Smith had brought. In the afternoon little Willie came.



[Rebecca] August 8, 1862. A pleasant morng. After we had retired last night letters were sent to us by Mr Smith. One from Willie, 1 from Davis & Tivie has one from Winston – Willie’s is written on his way to Chattanooga! Davis is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment