Introduction

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

July 23, 1862.  The boys went to town to pick up some things from the ruins of Mrs Lathams house, staid all day.  toward night they brought some beef from Clark's & Henry carried the cart back.  Rain.  Mrs L & Carrie left.



[Rebecca] July 23, 1862. A very warm morng. Immediately after breakfast H & G go to town and work at Mrs L’s place until nearly noon, then go to Mr S’s to dine. Rain prevents their working after dinner, they return before sunset with a quarter of beef for Tivie and Henry returns with the cart to Mr S- remaining all night then to work at Mrs L’s tomorrow.



July 24, 1862. Henry works at Mrs Lathams house in the morning. No rain.



[Rebecca] July 24, 1862. Another very warm day. Henry works at Mrs L’s premises until 12  o’clk. Geo. busy at home. No shower to-day Eveg. very warm.



[Winston Stephens to Octavia Stephens]

                                                                                                Camp Stephens July 24, 1862

My Darling Wife

                I send two men Mr Shook & Mizell up & they will bring you this. I hope you will get it before it grows old. I send one up for Mother I suppose from Davis or Willie. I saw some men just in from Mobile & they say the 3rd was the crack Regiment in the City & were generally well. Could not hear definitely about Willie - I received a letter from James Gaines yesterday & he had seen Dick & says they were in excellent health.  James makes application to be transfered to my Company.  I write him tomorrow.  I have just returned from Jacksonville where I have been writing passes for the Buckra as the negroes call us.  none are allowed to cross the river without a pass & as I am in Command have them to write.  I hope to be relieved of the command soon.  The men were waiting on me when I got to Camps and I cant write you a long letter this time.

                I am well & my Company are in reasonable health.  I returned from Tallahassee yesterday & find that we are certainly to be formed into a regiment but the Genl assures us we are not to go out of the State.  I cant tell what is the programe, but it has appeared to me lately that the object was to abandon the State to its fate & make a strong and determined stand near the border & especially near Richmond.  We gained a Glorious Victory at Richmond but not such a success as we were led to believe at first. Curtis was not captured as I wrote you, but escaped because we had no ammunition. Col. Forest captured 1200 at Murfreesboro killed three or four hundred & captured two Genl’s & destroyed half million of stores. We are getting all the advantages in the late battles.  Maj Genl Polk [sic] is chief in Command of the Northern forces & McLelland is in Command only of one division.  This is going to act in our favor as it will get them to quarrelling among themselves ‑ but I fear we are to have a few more hard fought battles before & I will do better next time. The men will tell you what day they will be by & you must have a long letter for me. I think I will see Davis in a few days & Mother can write to him by the men. I do hope you are all well. I will be up soon & will not send you any money as I will bring it.  I am a good boy & will be.  Love to all & Kiss Rosa & accept all you wish from your Very aff husband.  how dee to Burrel & the rest, Good bye & God bless & protect you all.

                                                                                                Winston Stephens

No comments:

Post a Comment