Introduction

Friday, July 6, 2012

July 6, 1862. Wrote to Winston & fussed with beef fixings all day. Pet had a colt.



[Rebecca] July 6, 1862. Morng. cloudy and warm. Tivie &Henry obliged to work to save the beef, as the weather is unfavorable. After dinner Tivie writes to Winston and George carries  our letters to town – I read 3 fine sermons of Dr Huntington. No rain.



[Octavia Stephens to Winston Stephens]

                                                                                                Rose Cottage July 6, 1862

My dear Husband

                I have not time now to write you much, I did not intend writing to you to day as I was not certain how to direct my letter, but thought at Dinner time that it would be just as bad next week, as I would not get your letter until mine had gone, so concluded to try it anyhow & run the risk of your getting it.

                Sunday as it is I have been (not quite "head over heels") in beef, but most all hands have been busy all day with the beef trying to save it.  there was so much of it & so many different parts to cook at once that we have had our hands & pots full.  I have just a little while since taken off one big pot full of bones & put on another.  & I tell you I was tired, I have hardly sat down to day except when I had to sit down or lie down on account of my old stomach ache, but ate a piece of fine melon which refreshed me. I took a big dose of salts yesterday morning but will have to take more, but that has nothing to do with the beef. Burrel left at the time you said, but they did not get the beef until three o'clock on Friday, & he got here at one o'clock that night so could not fix it until yesterday & had to borrow salt & pound it.  I did not weigh it as Burrel began on it before I was up, suppose it made no difference as the price was set, it was a tremendous one, the hind quarter that Clark took weighed 96 lbs, I sent Tina a basket full of bones this morning as I had more than I could possibly save as they were spoiling.  I hope I will be able to save the beef.  I had it out doors most of the morning but rain, or a good sprinkle made us take it in in a hurry & it has not rained to day, to morrow we are going to fix a place out doors too.  Mr Tuton came yesterday for the cows, said he was sorry to take them but most of his others were so sick he could hardly move them, was much pleased with the calves, & says that we can have more next year if they are around here, he says “Mooley” is with his cattle, & he thinks will have a calf in September. he charged nine dollars for the beef I gave him ten, he had no change so I told him to fix it with you, but how long I am coming to the good news, now dont shout when I tell you that you are a negro & colt better off than when you left.  yes Sarah gave birth to a little girl on the morning of the 4th of July after a whole night of hard labour, was  doing well until last night, she took some cold & stopped her courses and was very sick last night, but was relieved when that was brought on by warm teas. then too she sat up straight in the bed yesterday morn which I think made it worse, Sukey was here two nights & a day.  I paid her two dollars.

                Pet's colt was born last night.  Burrel says tell you that you have a fine colt here & he thinks you'll be so proud when you come home you wont know what to do.  I dont know whether it is a boy or girl.  Burrel says it is in very good order, it a kind of iron grey I believe, Henry says the color of Mr Greeley's horse.  Pet is doing well, has had the colic twice since you left.  Burrel thought it melon rinds with the green corn, we have tried to keep them from her, but she would get them sometimes.  I was very glad of the rice and corn you sent.

                Georgie was sick again yesterday. Henry has not been well since he was sick I think they will have to do as I did after waiting three weeks, take salts.

                Mrs Hopkins came down with Mr Brooks on Friday, will return I guess tomorrow as to day was first fixed on but she did not want to start to day. Tina & I went to see her yesterday afternoon. Rosa has just bumped her head & go to “dam ma” for comfort. she had quite a sore eye but to day is quite well, she is now in “pa pa’s” chair, that is her great comfort.

                I wish I could get a letter from you tomorrow but dare not look for one, but will certainly expect one next week & dont forget to tell me how to direct my letters, if you get this.  you dont know how much more I miss you, than I did when I knew you were nearer & could come often.  You must not stay off too long.  You did not make me any promises before you left.  I'll promise to be a good girl.  Mother sends her love & says we want very much to hear from you.  I guess I will not write next week until I hear from you, if after that my writing every week is too expensive you must tell me so, but I would want to hear from you that often anyhow.  I hope it will not be long before we will see you, please dont get to kicking too hard against orders & get carried to Tallahassee or be Court Martialed or anything of that sort.  Rosa sends a kiss.  Ever aff‑ly

                                                                                                Your Wife



[Winston Stephens to Octavia Stephens]

                                                                                                Camp Hateley July 6, 1862.

My Dear Wife

                You will see that I have arrived in Camps all O.K.  My Camp is nearest Jacksonville & I am in two miles.  I have a beautiful camp ground, but the water is not so good.  We are near Mrs Haddocks on the north side of the R. Road.  The Regiment or a part of it is in half mile with a branch between us & Capt Row has part of his command near the Regiment but on the other side of the road.  We number but 420 men and Capt Chambers is about four miles farther out but he is going up to Magnolia.  We have the most glorious news of the whole war on the arrival of the Cars yesterday, I saw the Confederate flag flying & thought something good was coming & sure enough.  We have whiped the Yankees at Richmond capturing 30 thousand & no telling how many killed & McLelland had asked Lee for an armistice of two days to bury the dead & Lee had replied, let the dead bury the dead, the only proposition I will listen to is an unconditional surrender.  I say well done Genl Lee, as the object was to gain time & get away & our good brave Genl has defeated his army & has now defeated his cuning & will likely capture the whole army.  They are fighting at Tampa but no damage to our side the last news.  I will keep this open for a P.S. tomorrow when the cars come down.

                I think My Dear that you will have me with you before many months as the war is obliged to stop. I was in Jacksonville the first day but did not see any one but Mr Burrett & Gowen & Col Hopkins. Mr Burrett has made a report of his trip north and will be in the papers & perhaps you will see it. Capt Chambers was on the Isaac Smith a few days ago & thinks I killed all the officers but one & a great many of the men and told me the Lt on the boat was afraid to go up the river any more.  We have no arms now but I expect them soon and then hope to have one chance before the War ends, as I do want to shoot a Yankee.

                I think we will be healthy at this place & I am improving very fast & we get a plenty of corn for our horses.  by the by I hope you got a plenty of good corn to last you until corn comes & the damaged will do to feed the mules & the Mare.  I hope Pet has got through with her troubles by this time & that she has a fine colt.  have her fed well no matter what it costs.  We have lots of rain and guess you have had a chance to plant some vines.  We stoped with Jessup one night, that is Swep & I, and found them well & left them Do.  Birtha is a good little baby, no teeth yet & is very hearty.  Give much love to Mother & the boys also to Clark & family.  Kiss Dear Rosa & accept as many as you wish from your Old Man

                                                                                                Winston Stephens

P.S. My dear I have just time for a short P.S. as I start in five minutes for the locality of the Gun boats to see what they are doing I only take two men with me & I am not going to fire at them, We have completely whipped them at Richmond. I will be back tomorrow. Your aff

                                                                                                Winston

No comments:

Post a Comment