Introduction

Tuesday, September 11, 2012


September 11, 1862. Henry went to Tina’s in the afternoon to see if Mr Smith had come.

 

[Rebecca] September 11, 1862. A warm morng. Boys go to town in the morng. to mark pigs, get only 1 marked. At 9 P.M. they go over to watch for a hog that goes into Mr S- field – See him but dogs let him escape – They return a little before daylight.

 

[Winston Stephens to Octavia Stephens]

                                                                                                Jacksonville Sept 11, 1862

My Dear Wife I returned last night & can say to you that so far I am unharmed.  I went down to May Port & carried out my orders & I was shelled for more than an hour with my men not over 1/4 mile but no one was hurt, the sand was nocked in their faces but no danger done, they fired 62 shots at me & while I was keeping the Gun boats down there Genl Finegan crossed some cannon & had them mounted at St Johns Bluff & this morning they opened the ball & have been fighting some four or five hours but no news as to results, they continue to fight & God grant we may succeed.  I am on my way to Tallahassee & cant be back before one week.  I am now camped on the East side of the river about 7 miles from this place at what is called Tiger Hole.  I am to keep up a scout on the rear of the fort to keep off a surprise & aid the Command at the Fort.  My first letter will give you the other matters in detail perhaps Mr Smith will stay here & learn the result of the fight below.  You will see from the news sheet that we are gaining complete victories & driving the Federals back & destroying their forces & every thing.  I think we are obliged to have peace soon.  love to all & as many kisses for you & Rosa as you wish from

                                                                                                your Aff husband

                                                                                                Winston

No comments:

Post a Comment