Introduction

Sunday, September 9, 2012


September 9, 1862. Tina spent the day with us. No rain.

 

[Rebecca] September 9, 1862. Mrs S- & children pass the day here – Quite warm -

 

[Octavia Stephens to Winston Stephens]  

                                                                                                Sept 9, 1862

My own husband

                I am again seated to write to you without hearing from you be Mr Smith, the gentleman has not yet arrived, but I hope he will not stay much longer for I want to hear from you, I looked some for a letter from you yesterday as I thought you knew of his going to Tallahassee & would not wait for him but write by the mail.

                Tina received a letter from Ma written by Mary of the 31st.  all were well excepting Rubannah.  Mary was to stay a week or ten days.  Ma wants Clark to give up Dunlawton fever & live with her.  Tina spent the day with us, she came over partly to cut Charlies's gums, as he has had fever & his gums had seemed much swollen for some time. Clark did not start for Hawkinsville to day, hogs still trouble him in his field, sometimes he declares it your hog then again the wild ones. Henry & Burrell are going to sit up and try & catch them, Clark sat up twice but they dodged him. I guess you think this great writing but I am writing with one hand & fanning with the other, for it is very “swultry” this evening.

                Rosa has not had fever since the day I wrote you, she had another tumble off of the steps this afternoon, she tried to throw the chicken off & she went rolling off too, right on top of a puppy, & cut her lip inside & skinned it outside.  The night that Rosa had fever I dreamed of your having a chill, I hope it was not true.  I wonder if you ever dream of your poor little wifey?  I dream of you every night & I think Rosa dreamed up & said in the same whining tone she used to when you went out "Ma Ma Pa Pas done."  Well I suppose Mr Hyas will have to leave his beloved to morrow, when will all this leaving wives stop?  I fear not until there are not many husbands to go.

                Mr Dean wishes to rent Grand Mother's house, Tina asked Mrs Dean what she felt like giving, she said two dollars a month with what they still have to do to the place to make it comfortable.  they want to go right into it, so dont forget to write about it as soon as you get this, now dont say you dont know about it, & leave it to Mother, for she says that Aunt Julia left it to you.

                Mother has just poked her head in the door, & says I must give lots of love to you & hopes you are enjoying these beautiful moonlight evenings.  I said yes in bed sound asleep, when I am walking up & down the path every evening enjoying the moonlight, I think of you asleep.  I believe you never had romance enough to enjoy the moon anyhow, perhaps your romance had worn out when I knew you.  Speaking of romance, the cotton has been picked over once & got 189 lbs.

                Mrs Dean charged a dollar for spinning and twisting my thread, but it was done very nicely, she charged by the time it took her.  I have one stocking nearly finished and have not knitted steadily on it.  I think I will have one if not two pair knit before you come home again, besides other work.  All are well here now.  Henry has a bad boil just below his waist on his back which annoys him very much, has nearly laid him up.  he shot at a turkey this morning but did not hit him quite hard enough, he has been nearly turkey crazy, but has bad luck.

                Well my dear this looks like a mean letter after the long ones I have been writing you but I guess it will do as I wrote only two days ago, which I suppose you'll get about the same time as this.  Good night & God bless & protect you.  With much love  I am

                                                                                                as ever your own

                                                                                                Tivie

No comments:

Post a Comment