Introduction

Thursday, September 13, 2012


September 13, 1862. Rain & stormy all day.

 

[Rebecca] September 13, 1862. A rainy day – George who went to Mr Stephens’ yesterday has not returned – Henry & Tom watched for the hog in Mr S- field again last night without success.

 

September 14, 1862. Wrote to Winston heard that he with part of his company had crossed the river at Jacksonv with others, their object unknown. Geo returned from Tina’s. Rainy.

 

[Rebecca] September 14, 1862. After a stormy night the wind is still high and the clouds black – Geo returns about 10 o’clk – Write to Willie and Henry takes my letters and one from Tivie over to the mail and dines with Mr Stephens – Heavy rain in the afternoon -

 

[Octavia Stephens to Winston Stephens]

                                                                                                Rose Cottage Sept 14, 1862

My dear husband

                Another Sunday has come and here I am seated to write to you again, oh what a long week this has been, as I have been looking anxiously for a letter from you, and most of the week have had a beef to take care of and bad weather which has worried me lots and not one word from you to cheer me in my work. I can not imagine what keeps Mr Smith so, tomorrow is mail day & I am afraid to expect a letter by that as I suppose Mr. Smith will leave a letter for me when he does come. I sent over to town yesterday in the rain thinking he certainly must be there as I had not sent over since Thursday.

                I will have to hurry up with this as I hear Mr Dean is to start at one o’clock, so as to cross the river to night on account of the gale we are having to day. I wondered a great deal yesterday & last night how you were faring in the gale if you had one such as we had.

                I suppose you received my letter by Mr Hyas last Thursday, did you not wonder at its being open, I always leave my letters open until the last minute so that I can put anything in if I want to, & I had not noticed that that envelope was not a self sealing one, until Mr Hyas was at the gate, & could not find a wafer & did not wish to keep him waiting to seal it with wax, & thinking there was nothing particular in it gave it to him open.

                My dear before I forget it, wont you please go to some of the stores & see if you can not get two yards of something to make Rosa some Winter sacks, anything that has some woollen in it, & is not too common, flannel, de laine, or almost anything if you cant get any thing of that sort get calico & I will line them, I have racked my brain & ransacked the house to find something that would do, & tried to spare a breadth out of some of my dresses but "no go" do not think because you said you would get the other things that I will keep sending to you for things, for I ask you now only for things that I am obliged to have for comfort.

                Clark is still troubled by hogs in his field, oh they were certain it was the black sow, but Burrel found the blaze face wet & the black dry, so took the blaze face, then they said oh they knew it was that one, we had the one, but the hogs kept going in, & Clark told me one day that he thought as I that it was wild ones, then a few days after they knew it was the black one & wanted me to let out the blaze face & take up the other, we have not taken her, for she is too poor to have been in any field or to keep up & Henry watched two nights, & saw the hog, it is a large black one but very fat, he did not succeed in getting it either night, the first night the boys were asleep & he could not rouse them & the dogs would not take it the next night it was smarter & gave Henry the slip although he saw it, he is certain it is a wild one, tonight he is going to try & shut the black sow up at the mill & see if any goes in the field if so he will go tomorrow night & try & kill it.  Clark killed that fine large one of the wild bunch the other day, I think he laid in wait for him, he thought he would have weighed 150 lbs after being cleaned, they sent us some ribs which were very fat.  I guess he will get them all before Winter as the family have seen them several times, so they know where they are.

                We are all well but Burrel, he has been having fever and face ache. Oh I forgot what shall we do about marking the little pigs belonging to the black sow, her pigs are mixed with Clark’s & Sophia’s & no one knows how many each sow has, they marked one the other day and they say that is Sophia’s I told Burrel to leave it until I heard from you. Henry thinks Clark has only two as some of his died & you have six, but is afraid to say so, for fear that Clark will think he is cheating him for you, such a time with the pigs; there are now only 16 shoats that come up, two missing.

                Rosa has just given me a kiss for you, she seems quite well now, I do hope we may hear some good war news to morrow, and I do hope to hear from you.  I must close now as my letter ought to be off.  With lots of love I am

                                                                                                Your loving

                                                                                                Wife

 

[Rebecca Bryant to Willie Bryant]

                                                                                                Rose Cottage  Sept 14, 1862

My dearest Willie,

                It is nearly three weeks since I wrote you, last week I defered it, hoping to have some intelligence of you before mail day came round again.  Your last to me, written at Chattanooga, Aug 15th. reached me in 14 dys, and on the fourth after I had written you – That letter, Winston mailed in Jacksonville and altho’ it was directed to  Knoxville (by your instructions) I trust it will reach you if it has not already. Yours of the 15th. was highly interesting, giving an account of your ascent up the famous Lookout Mountain – You were then expecting soon to march, and supposed you were to go to Nashville – Winston saw a letter from you, dated Aug. 19th. in which you wrote that you were to march the next morng. but he did not know where or did not write, if he did know. You always write cheerfully to me and make light of your privations and toils, but a hard march of 150 miles, without tents or many cooking utensils must be a severe test of any man's philosophy and powers of endurance.  I have been hoping most earnestly for a telegraphic dispatch, a newspaper paragraph, or something on which to base a conjecture where you are.  A month has passed since the last recd. from you was written ‑ how much must have occurred in that time to bring you either joy or sorrow!  I have endeavoured to comply with your wish that I shd. believe that all was well with you until I knew to the contrary ‑ But my hopes and fears are constantly alternating and I must confess the latter often predominate, in spite of my efforts to the contrary.  The same mail arrangement continues here, which, as I have before written obliges us to mail our letters 24 hrs. before our mail is recd. therefore it is possible I may get a letter from you or hear of you through Davis tomorrow eveg.  I have been very fortunate in getting all your letters, tho' some have been long on the way.  I am sorry to find from yr last that you have not recd. all of Davis'.  Mr Smith has been absent nearly a fortnight, went to Jckvlle. and perhaps to Tallahassee.  We are impatient for his return, as you may imagine, anticipating a budget of news.

                I can conceive what you must have suffered by being 6 wks. without letters, when I find it difficult to be cheerful under a trial of half that magnitude ‑ 2 wks without a letter from you, is as much as I can bear patiently.  The newspapers of Aug 30th. inform us that Buell had fallen back in the direction of Tupelo, but it seems probable if troops had been engaged with him since that movement or if there had been any decisive action at Nashville since you left that we shd. have heard of it by telegraph the past week as there have been persons from Palatka passing up the river.  Telegraphic despatches recd. at Gainesville are brought to Orange Springs, thence to Palatka, and we got the news of the Richmond victory in that way in 3 days.  I receive letters from Davis quite regularly now every alternate Monday.  The last, recd. a fortnight tomorrow, mentioned his having just returned from picket duty in a very wet time, had to ford several deep branches and swim one, with gun, blankets, bags &c, on his shoulders to keep them dry. We are now having a regular Northeaster, wind, rain & high tides must make camping dreadfully uncomfortable where the Fla. Rangers are. Davis wrote me of the death of Mrs. Mitchell, Mr Jeffry’d daughter, who was to have been married to Dr. Baldwin just ahead the time of her decease. Since I wrote you last I have recd. a long letter from Aunt Julia. She had been to Sav. to visit the hospitals about there, by the request of the Ladies Association to which she belongs. She was accompanied by a Mrs Reed – they staid ten days - She recd. many kind attentions, had a carriage placed at her command to enable her to visit the different points with ease.  The proprietor of the Pulaski received her on the footing of a guest, the omnibus driver refused fare &c – She was only at the Pulaski one day and night, going out of the city every afternoon with Mr Patten and passing the night with his family – Mr P- is a com. Merchant who is agent for the Ladies’ association - On this trip Aunt J‑ met Mrs Latham & Carrie in the cars, heard all about the loss of their house, their visit here &c took tea with them at the Pulaski, introduced Parris to them.  He was much pleased with Carrie and her Confederate hat which I did not tell you of ‑ It is manufactured by her own hands of palmetto, with a bunch of rough rice and a cotton bud very prettily arranged on one side.  Palmetto work has been all the rage this summer, Rosa has a very pretty little hat made by Maggie Dean ‑ Henry braided and I sewed one for George and H is now braiding one for himself. To return to Aunt J-s letter – She went a second time half way to Sav. and on the cars met Mrs. Foster & Beckie! She met Mrs F- at our house you remember when Beckie was absent – Mrs F. recognized Aunt J- and introduced herself. The three had a most interesting and earnest interview of an hour, wholly absorbed in talking of us, and they “parted like old and dear friends, so nearly did they seem connected with you,” Aunt J- writes. I regret to learn that Mrs F- had several hemorrhages which induced her to go to Aiken for a time. Winston forwarded my letter to Beckie and I hope soon to hear from her. They told Aunt J- they should make an effort to meet you at some point – I wish they might succeed.  You were mistaken in supposing you had expressed to me your opinion of Aunt Julia's cause toward yr Father, I have looked eagerly for it and for the dates of yr letters, I think I have all you have written me since that time ‑ I suppose you wrote Davis and thought you had said the same to me ‑ Aunt J‑ speaks of recg. one from you, and that you were just to both herself and yr father.  She seems much gratified by mine to her ‑ it was more forbearing and affectionate than she dared to expect – She speaks of Parris being at home on a furlough and says nothing of his going to Virginia, so I infer that the report of his being ordered there was incorrect. We have not heard from Winston for a fortnight – He wrote Tivie a sad account of a fatal accident that occurred to Lewis Gaines a few days before he went back to camp – Lewis was to have acted as substitute for Swepston for one month, and on his way to Winston’s camp he stopped for a couple of days at Mary Brauning’s. While out hunting with Jessup his horse jumped and struck his gun against a tree, which as he attempted to catch it fired off and shot the whole load into his breast – He expired immediately. His poor distressed Mother has now two sons in Tenn. and two in Winston’s co. Winston's corn crop has disappointed him greatly this season, he planted about 80 acres and expected to have a great deal to sell, but will have barely enough for his own use.  He planted only 10 acres in cotton and the caterpillars are destroying a great deal of them ‑ His peas are doing well.  Henry was much pleased with your commendation of his letter.  George intends writing to you ‑ He has just returned from a visit to Mr Stephens' boys, he went on Friday P.M. to return yesterday but the storm prevented ‑ I teach those boys with mine three days in the week ‑ Reading, spelling, writing & arithemetic is all I profess to teach.  Henry however has commenced Nat. Philosophy & Astronomy.  He has also been building a crib for his corn crop which is now gathered ‑ It is the only way in which I can be useful now and I need something to draw my thoughts from my wearing anxieties and mental burdens.  Tivie & Rosa are both in good health ‑ Tivie sends much love and a kiss ‑ and from me dear Willie accept ten thousand kisses & blessings.

                                                                                                Mother

The boys both send much love ‑ Sometimes they are a little disposed to complain of privations, but I have only to remind them of the contrast between their condition and that of the soldiers, your own included, and they are cheerful.  We want to know how you fare in the way of provisions in Tennessee ‑ Your letters are most eagerly looked for by all and always read with the greatest interest.  I hope you will write to Winston if you have not already –

 

[Willie Bryant to Davis Bryant]  

                                                                                                20 miles in Kentucky

                                                                                                Sunday Sept 14, 1862

My dear Bro.

                I have wished to write you often & in my last to Mother ‑ I think a week ago ‑ I said I must close to write you, but I have found it impossible; I scrawled a few lines to Beck as we started on our march, knowing that you wd. thereby hear from me too. & I have managed to write Mother twice since we have been on the road & that is all I could do.  Tho' I wd. probably have found more time & been able to write more but for a badly sprained shoulder (my right) which kept me behind with the waggons.

                I am puzzled to know where to commence with you, it has been so long since my last, & my brain as well as my body is so addled by recent events: you must excuse an account of our journey & expect only the circumstances most forcibly impressed upon my mind by hard personal experience ‑ On Friday a.m. 3,o'clk Aug 29, our Regmt. took its place in the left wing of the army then in line of march, at noon we halted for a couple of hours, in getting over a fence for some water I fell, & injured my right shoulder so severely that I was obliged to be left behind, but I managed to get my things into a waggon & instead of retg. to Chattanooga to the hospital, on Sunday noon started with the waggon train; the first of the journey was up a very steep mountain of "Walden Ridge" ‑ a distance of 3 miles we then followed on the top of it for 14 miles, descended a distance of 2 1/2, & were then in the Sequatchie Valley, between the ridge & the Cumberland Mts, 5 miles wide : we came up with the regt Tuesday, which had been resting since in the night Sunday, & Wed'y before day started again; we traveled up the valley many miles & then ascended the Cumd. ridge a distance of 2 miles, & then went along on the ridge 24 miles, & descended 2 miles & the worst of the journey was over, tho' our road has generally been bad & very hilly all the way.  This is the 17th day since the regt started, & we have marched a distance of a little more than 200 miles, crossing 2 ridges of mountains on the way, & when we start again tomorrow will have rested but 3 whole days & part of a 4th.

                What we have suffered on this march those only can know who have experienced it, it is impossible to describe it, or for the mind to realise it by description; many a poor fellow has been killed by it & is buried by the road side, & I am only surprised there are not more, thousands have been left sick at houses & hospitals established along the road, & by the side of the road to make their way somewhere the best they could, & many of the hardiest & strongest are of the number; it has been terrible, terrible, & no man of us will ever forget it, or think of it but with pain; we have almost every day been aroused at 2 1/2, 3, or 3 1/2 in the morng & made to prepare to start immediately, & been marched till after dark, somtimes 9 o,clk, & every 3d. night all have been obliged to be up till 12 or later, drawing & cooking rations, & many all night long; the scarity of water, dusty roads, heat, & hunger have all been just till a few days past; the average of the march is about 16 or 17 miles pr day, some days they have driven us 22; O! it has been inhuman! but thank Heaven it is now better with us, the country has been good for the past few days, & it is but 28 miles to Bowling Green where we are destined for the present, 2 days will take us there ‑ Our rest to‑day, & having time to wash our bodies & clothes, & nurse our lame feet is delicious, but last night we were cooking till very late, & will be obliged to to‑night, as without any apparent excuse they are not to issue rations till dark ‑ I would not have Mother know what I have endured for worlds; I must confess that once I was throughly discouraged, & wished myself out of the service & home.  I was following with the regt. & was sick, & as long as a man can walk he is forced to keep up with the regt.  Our march has depended intirely upon Buells movements, & I suppose still will, he managed to elude us by 2 days at McMinnville Tenn & we have been forced to get around him; at Bowling Green we cut off the R. Road commtn. between Nashville & Louisville, & Price is on his other side, his only escape is thro' Kentucky into Missouri; the report of his being hemmed in Tenn proved false; Our army consisted of about 60,000 men, 3 divisions, Cheatham's, Buckner's, & Anderson's (ours) but Cheatham's has gone to reinforce Kirby Smith.

                The war news you know more of than we ‑ I think we will go into winter quarters in this state; a few more weeks & we will have cold weather upon us, & I dread it I assure you.

                In a day or two I shall resum my load & duties; my health is still good, & my strength of course greatly increased; I do not weigh a great deal but am stouter than ever before.

                The low Dutch & Irish are the only ones who have stood the march at all well; Those under 20 & over 30 have stood it best.  I will add no more now but write Mother, & perhaps Beck, a few lines – I have recd. no letter from you since leaving Mobile, but have recd. two from Mother, two from Beck, one from Hattie, & one from Hollis.

                I think Mothers are looking better, & still think the war will terminate this winter, I now hope so -

                I hope all is well with you & that you may be retained in Fla.  I do not know how it will be with me, I can only try & hope I may be able to stand it, & have as little to fear as any, but after all it seems to be a mere matter of chance with all ‑ You must wait to hear from me again, or direct immediately to Chattanooga, directing to me Co H. 3d. Fla Rgt. 1st. Brigade 1st. Division.  The mails have reached us twice on the march ‑ I hope to be able to send this from Glascow‑ Good bye again ‑ Yrs always affectionately

                                                                                                Willie

                                                                                                Glascow Tuesday a.m.

                A chance offers to send long letters – I have not written Mother, but have a few lines to Beck; write Mother that you heard from me at Glascow, that I was well &c – Our forces had quite a brush 2 days ago on Green river near B- Green 21 miles from here but the enemy were in too strong force for us, our army has hastened on to reinforce last night & there will probably be more of it – Buell now seems to have no chance to get away whatever & I hope he may not –

                                                                                                Good bye again – Yrs Always

                                                                                                Willie

No comments:

Post a Comment