Introduction

Monday, September 24, 2012


September 21, 1862. Came home from Tina’s just after breakfast. Wrote to Winston. Rain.

 

[Rebecca] September 21, 1862. At 9 o’clk this morning returned from Mrs Stephens’ where Tivie, Rosa & myself were detained over night by a storm. Wrote to Davis before dinner – Read sermons after – The weather still lowering.

 

[Octavia Stephens to Winston Stephens]

                                                                                                Rose Cottage Sept 21,1862

My dear husband

                Mr Smith arrived at last with two letters from you, I received them last Friday, you cant imagine what a relief it was to my mind to get those letters, for I was in a great state of anxiety about you for I had heard of your trip down the river & your fight with the boats, and that six men were killed on our side, & I thought if you were not among that number you might suffer in a few days after.  I was so glad to hear from your letter that you were going to Tallahassee I exclaimed "I'm so glad" I wish he would stay there a month, What a narrow escape you and your men had from the shells of the Gunboat.  Oh how thankful I am & you ought to be that you escaped.  I shall be in constant fear the whole time now that I know you must have returned from Tallahassee for I fear that blocking the Gunboat will not be such an easy thing as you think -for the fiftieth time I say will we ever have peace?  When I feel that you are not in danger I do not realize the troubles half so much, I suppose I have my share of the anxiety to bear.  You say we must certainly have peace soon.  God grant that we may but I have but little hope, for that has been said so many many times.  If it is true about Pope & McClellan there are plenty more men in Yankeedom that may make better Generals than them.  We have certainly gained a great many victories (if we can believe all) for which I am very thankful, but, oh such loss of life & seems to me to no purpose, if we do ever have peace how few there will be to realize it and how many of them will be desolate and unhappy.  God grant that I may never be one of that number.

                Mother & I returned from Clark's this morning in a slight rain after spending yesterday & last night there, we went & came in our one sided cart as Mother thought it would be better for me than on horseback with Rosa, but it is worse for it makes me feel sick.  I had to lie down this morning some time after I got home - plague take Old Long.  I wish he never had seen the buggy, it might have been sent to Savannah & back fixed by this time.

                I hope your command is in better health than when you first wrote, for it is bad enough to be there in danger without sickness.   I would not be surprised at any time to hear that Jacksonville has been shelled for I am very much afraid that they will yet defeat your plans at the Bluff.

                You missed seeing Davis, as Henry Hopkins wrote Clark that Davis was sent with a dispatch to the Bluff I think after you left. Though when Davis wrote he expected to go to Madison this week to fix some business for Mooney & he hoped to be able to go down & spend a day and night with you, but I fear he will miss you, or not go down at all as he knows you have been moved, he intends trying to come to see us before long.

                I am sorry to have you write as you do about the Simmons place, I fear you will loose & be sorry. Clark dislikes to take the responsibility after the manner you wrote in, & I fear he will not get it, he is going in a day or two to see Simmons. I think you will be very foolish if you loose it. you need hogs, you will need corn, you want cattle (three of his are cows) the potatoes will not come out of place. The carpenter tools will always be useful, & I know I would be willing to give a good deal for some of the things of his house & kitchen, I would be willing to pay for one oven he has what you price the whole furniture at. I think you value the whole at entirely too low a price, from the figures you had down on a piece you sent in my letter. Mr Simmons has had other offers, but would not sell as he called it a trade with you, I do not think he is trying to back out. I hear he has a good pea crop & a good potatoe crop, & he has some sows with shoats, and what are you going to do for sows after this year, for I expect you will have to kill that little black sow, for we have her up, as she proved to be the pest of Clark’s field, & seems there is no way of keeping her out of a field. Well I guess you think I have given my mind enough where it is not wanted. All is I think if Clark gets the place you will be glad of it here after, but I fear you will loose it.

                I forgot to say that Mr Smith brought the cloth & thread.  I hope you succeeded in getting Rosa some shoes in Tallahassee.  I also hope you remembered your promise and had a daguereotype taken for me, but I guess you did not. Did you see the handsome “hair lip?”

                You ask me what I think of your uniform.  I think it a great pity that the wives of confederate officers have to wear unbleached homespun chemises, when their husbands can afford to buy uniforms.  You told me to manage things to my liking, I have sent with others to buy some factory thread, Clark & I counted it all up &c, & it would be cheaper to buy the thread & have it woven at 10 cts a yard than buy the cloth at 50 cts, & we are obliged to have the cloth, & the Winter will be over before we can get our cotton ginned, & spun at home, and having it spun elsewhere is not very cheap.  I hope it will be to your satisfaction, I could not wait to hear from you again as I am behind the others in sending already.  Mr Fleming is to buy it at Monticello, at 2.50 cts a bundle.

                Henry killed two turkies last week at one shot, I assure you they were nice, although I could not half enjoy mine as I had the blues so bad about you.

                Mother received a letter from Willie last Friday, he was on his way to Nashville, & had fallen in getting over a ril fence & hurt his shoulder quite badly, so was with their baggage train, he was able to move it a little & use his fingers when he wrote.

                How very anxious Ma must be to hear from or of Dick & James, poor Ma she has indeed a trying time now.  I am glad for her sake that Swep has gone home, he will be one less for her to be anxious about just now.  I wish to heaven you could come home.  My dear you say you will be cautious, it is easy enough to say it when you are quietly writing, but I am so afraid that when you are excited you will forget in your enthusiasm for your country how dear your life is to more than yourself.  Mother sends love & says she was rejoiced to hear from you after a week of anxiety that you were safe & well.  All are well yet except Sarah who has had fever and has five "risings."  Rosa sends a kiss. I hope I shall be able to hear from you a little oftener hereafter.  once in three weeks is rather trying.  Good bye "Do take care yourself My dear" as ever                               

                                                                                                yr loving

                                                                                                Wife

 

[Winston Stephens to Octavia Stephens]

                                                                                                Sept 21, 1862

                                                                                                In Camp near "St Johns" Bluff

My Darling Wife

                On my return from Tallahassee I rec'd your two long & interesting letters & you may imagine how delighted I was to get them.  I will answer your questions at the conclusion. I went to Tallahassee as a Witness in the case of Maj Barnwell, but I was not questioned before the Court, for which I felt obliged as I knowed nothing to benefit or condemn. I had much rather seen Davis than gone up, but missed him by being absent he was quite well as you know as he wrote from this place, or Jacksonville, I should have said. I am in good health & fine spirits as every thing seems to work under the direction of Divine Providence ‑ We have the game plaid out with the Gun boats on this river, the first fight you have doubtless had the particulars.  the second took place on the morning of the 17th at 5 a m & lasted till 10 a m.  In which time the Gun boats therein as estimated between one thousand & 12 hundred shots & our guns replied very slowly only throwing some 50 shots.  the boats then retired.  Our loss was 2 killed & 2 wounded.  Capt Dunham lost one man & Maj Brevard one, the bateries received no injury during the firing, but the shell & shot fell like hail.  It was certainly Providential that we did not have more injury on our side.  The Enemy was hit several times & forced to retire, but returned the Friday next day after the 18th & fired 18 shot & retired before we fired a gun. & on Friday one boat came up in long range & our big guns was about to open on her when I asked the Capt to hold on & not let them get the range of his best gun which he did & after looking at us for a short time she turned around & went back & then all the boats went out over the bar but two large side wheel steamers.  Some think they have gone for reinforcement & others that they have given up, but I am of the first opinion, as they feel it a burning shame to have allowed us to mount guns in sight of them & drive them back when they try to pass ‑ The only fear I have is they will get guns of longer range than we have, which will allow them every advantage & we may lose men & not be able to retaliate ‑ Capt Chambers & myself are about three miles & a half from the boats, acting on the rear to prevent a land attack which I do not fear as they have not got the land force to spare for this place, Genl Finegan is down here looking at the positions &c, he has asked for a regiment from Georgia.  I am not a favorite as I am a Whig & I came near offering my resignation as he refused to give my men good arms, but he has consented to give me 60 Enfield rifles & Maj Teasdale has promised to get me some sabres.  The old granny thinks I have done a little more than I should have done & he is afraid I will get more credit than some of his Democrat friends, & I think he would like to see me whiped.  I shall try to prevent such a disaster as I will not expose my men until I am armed.  We have 38 inch guns or Columbiads, two 32 rifle, two 8 inch short siege guns mounted ready for action, & the last fight we had none of the 8 inch ready.  We have over 300 infantry in the Batallion & one Independent Co of 117 ‑ Chambers & My Cavalry 227 men, besides about 150 that work the guns making our force now 794 & we will have one company more next week on this side & two companies on Yellow bluff on the opposite.  you see by this that we are pritty strong & if we get the Georgia Regiment we will be ready for any thing, but I dont like sending our men out of the State & then having to call for help from some other State.  Finegan is trying to force an appointment over the Cavalry but I think we will have a chance yet to vote for the Field officers, & your boy Wince will be one of them.  My men are not much sick but we have just moved to this place & it is raining & has been raining for several days & I fear it will make them sick.  Swep has just returned & says they are nearly all sick in Marion.  I think they had all better move.  I think I may come on a steamer next time I come, but dont look for me in some time yet.  You have perhaps had letters by Brother Smith before this & I will wait until I hear from Clark before I purchase the wheel as he may get the one Simmons has ‑ Lt Gray did not go home as was intended but came on down here expecting a fight.  Monday 22d.  I will try to finish.  it continues to rain incessantly.  I rode out this morning with Capt Chambers to fix some pickets & got down to look at the two Gun boats in the river & my mare ran off & lost my overcoat (not the blue one) but I hope to find it.  Genl F leaves for Tallahassee to day. Jessup and his boy & several others were with Tody he was shot near Jessups after crossing the creek & shot in the left side which killed him instantly as he only spoke a few words it was the Friday before I left home, he was buried by his Father. You will please dry the pinders well & then put them in a barrel & fix it so the rats cant eat them. I want Simmons as soon as possible as I wrote to Clark & he is not to be paid unless the work is good. I wish I could be at home to attend to it but that is out of the question. Pay Dr Currell the four dollars.  I have seen Mr Burrett but he knows nothing more than already written.  Mr Dean can have the house by taking good care of it & paying at the end of every month four dollars (4) & not without & ask Clark to see to it for me.  I hope Rosa has not had return of fever I know she will be well cared for & shall ask you to be careful, but do take care of your own health & you had better not ride on horseback anymore & walk every evening.  I wish you would tell burrel not to allow an ear of corn fed only when obliged & tell me how the peas promise.  I want them all saved nicely & the cotton too.  I want to know about the hogs & how things generally look once a week.  I would have sent this to day by mail but as Capt Canova is coming up I send it by him as he will reach you sooner than the mail.  Mizel & Shook will be up soon & I will write by them.  Give love to Mother & boys & the Darkies tell howdie.  I send the 3 pr needles & hope the size is right.  Some one went in my trunk while I was gone but did not get much as I had Valise with me & that had all the Valuables but clothing.  Mr Greely got me a course uniform for sixty dollars which looks tolerably well. Send Clark the inclosed. I must close. Good bye & God bless you kiss rosa for Pa Pa.  Yours loving old man

                                                                                                Winston Stephens

 

September 22, 1862. Georgie & I went to Tina’s in the afternoon, where she joined us & we went to town for the mail & to make some purchases, heard of another fight at Jacksonville with the Gunboats three men killed.

 

[Rebecca] September 22, 1862. Cloudy morng. clear after dinner – Tivie & Geo go to town wait for the mail until nearly dark. Bring me a letter from Sister Caroline, also the news of the taking of Baltimore, and Washington threatened. Nashville evacuated and our army in pursuit.

 

[Winston Stephens to Octavia Stephens]

                                                                                                Sept 22, 1862

                One of the men has just handed me a letter from you of the 14th which I was glad to receive.  Oh how much I wish to be with [you] & clear of this war, you seem to worry yourself more than you should, dont let the pigs & hogs trouble you but tell burrel to do what he thinks is right or let him see Clark about it.  It does appear that every thing works against me.  I fear you have married one of the unfortunates but hope you will continue to love me as life would be worthless if it was not yours & ours. You can read the letter to Clark & you will see by that, that he cant be discharged. We have glorious War news.  We have taken Harpers ferry capturing 20 thousand Yankees 2,500 negroes & 12 thousand stand of arms & We have had another fight with McClelland with 80 thousand, our Genl was A.P. Hill.  The fight lasted two days.  The first day nothing was decided but the 2d day our forces recd Longstreet's Division & they being fresh we drove the Yankees five miles slaughtering them as we went, none of the particulars received & Price has gained a Victory in the West.  We whip them every where we fight them.  I hope you all will be well when you get this.  How goes on the school? I am as ever your Devoted husband

                I will get something for Rosa & I want you to send for any thing you want, put Sarah to spinning if you can get the wheel at once as we will have to make their clothes.  Osnaburgs worth 65 cents by the bale & every thing going up.              

                                                                                                Winston Stephens

 

September 23, 1862. Henry & Burrel went to Pilatka to have B’s teeth pulled & ret about 4 P.M. Tina spent the day with us. Rain.

 

[Rebecca] September 23, 1862. Fine morng. Henry leaves at daylight to go to Palatka with Burrel that he may have some teeth extracted Geo goes to Mrs Stephens for the day and Mrs S- & Minnie come here. Rain towards night prevents G’s return.

 

September 24, 1862. The boys came to say their lessons as usual. Rain. Clark went to Simmons’.

 

[Rebecca] September 24, 1862. Foggy – Geo returns before breakfast and Henry goes to the Office after breakfast to get sundry articles and help Burrel to take down an old house. Afternoon rainy –

 

No comments:

Post a Comment