Introduction

Wednesday, September 19, 2012


September 18, 1862. Nothing particular. Rain.

 

[Rebecca] September 18, 1862. Quite warm Boys go fishing after breakfast and bring home a large number of fine brim – Busy all the afternoon mending old cloths & shoes –

 

September 19, 1862. Received two letters from Winston at last by Mr Smith he was going to Tallahassee. Had had a little fight with the Gunboats at May Port.

 

[Rebecca] September 19, 1862.  A fine morng.  Just after dinner received letters from Winston who is quite well, altho' he has been in great danger at Mayport from the gunboats which fired 62 shots at his men.  God be praised for his escape!  I have a letter from Willie of the 2d on his way to Nashville over the Cumberland Mts.  He is in fine spirits notwithstanding a fall which injured his shoulder.

 

[Rebecca Bryant to Davis Bryant]  

                                                                                                Rose Cottage  Sept 19, 1862

My dear Davis,

                Your most welcome letter of 6th. finished on the following Wednesday reached me the next Monday (this week) and with it I recd. one from Willie of the 24th. Aug. the contents of which are I suppose so nearly like the letter you say he wrote you on 26th.  it is unnecessary for me to quote from it. He also wrote to Henry – a letter full of interest to him & all of us. This afternoon, I have recd. by Mr Smith who has at last returned, another letter from Willie of the 2d. inst. with a P.S. written at “daylight 3d.” when they started to continue their march to Nashville over the Cumberland Mts. He wrote 29 miles from Chata. The Regt. left C- the Friday before (Aug. 29th.) and were marching until Sunday night to accomplish the 29 miles, the road being over a mountain so steep as to be almost impassable for the heavy wagons and dangerous for the mules – One of the wagons was thrown over and smashed but fortunately it was in a place where the mules did not receive injury. The first day, when about 2 miles from camp, they were delayed for a short time, and Willie in going for some walk fell from a fence, injuring the muscles of his shoulder so much that he could not carry his “trappings” and was obliged to remain behind and go with the wagons which left the next Sunday, his birthday, and he overtook the Regt at their camp on Tuesday morng., and wrote me in the afternoon. His shoulder was better but he cd. not raise his arm and would therefore go on in the same way. He said althought his lame shoulder was a great inconvenience he had gained in being able to enjoy the grand scenery through which he passed at his leisure. He describes it as very impressive and says he enjoyed it greatly. He has a liniment for his shoulder and thinks with care it will soon be well. He says if I write 2 wks from his date, to Chattanooga he will probably get it – I did write a long letter last Sunday which was about that time. We shall next hear of the Regt. at Nashville, I suppose, and may God grant that our troops may be victorious and our dear Willie unharmed. We have just recd. letters from Winston and my heart is overflowing with gratitude for his preservation amid the danger to which he was exposed at May port ‑ Henry has just returned from town and says that H. Hopkins wrote Mr Stephens that he saw you there, that you brought an Express from Capt Harrison, so I infer that you know all the details of their movements, but as Winston does not mention seeing you, we conclude that he had left before you reached the camp.  I have commenced this afternoon to write, because we are to pass tomorrow with Mrs Stephens.

                It is growing dark and I must lay aside my pen until Sunday.  Sunday 10 o'clk A.M.  We went yesterday morng. to Mrs Stephens' and were detained there over night by a furious rain, have just returned and I hasten to finish my letter. Henry has a letter written in the slate and I will leave him half the sheet and cross this - I learn from Mr S‑ that last Monday was the day Hen Hopkins saw you, Winston's camp was then at Tiger Hole and he had gone to Tallahassee ‑ I am very sorry you did not meet him.  He wrote Tivie to direct her letters still to Jacksonville ‑ If you have any idea of coming up next month perhaps it wd. be well for you to write and ask him what roads to follow. All the information I can give you is that when W- left us to return to camp he expected to go by Mr Osteen’s and to dine the second day with Jessup Brauning. I remember that he said you wd. have saved much riding if you had gone to Jacksonville. If you go to Madison now, I fear it will be sometime longer before  we see you here - All will be rejoiced to behold the light of yr countenance. Winston mentions going to see  Mr Burritt & being invited into the room where Mrs B- was and passing sometime very agreeably in conversation with both. He told Mrs B of my request to Beckie Foster to make inquiries about yr father from her, but they did not know any more than we had heard from Mr Burritt before. Mr B told Wintson that he saw Mrs Sanderson in Richmond, who told him that Mr Fraser had gone to St. Augustine, with the Mil. Gov. of Fla. With regards to our wants the only imperative ones at present are a pair of shoes for Henry.  We have a prospect of getting a pair made for him, in the course of time but it will be several weeks, and his boots are gone entirely. He thinks he will require No 4 now – I will finish on another piece as Henry is ready to take this sheet.

                If you receive this before you return from Madison to camp and can manage to get shoes for Henry No 4 and leave them with Winston I think he will be able to send them up by some oppy. before you can come ‑ and I would like a tooth‑brush also and Henry needs some percussion caps.  When you come I shd. like some small paper, to suit my envelopes, but have enough for the present.  By this mail Tivie, Mrs Stephens and I will send money to Mr Fleming who is to get us factory yarn, and a woman in the country is to weave cloth for us ‑ this is the only expedient I can resort to for clothes for the boys.  Winston has been trying to get some for me where he bought his, but has failed.  I shd. be glad of 6 or 8 yds of cotton flannel but suppose it wd be impossible to get it without paying a small fortune for it.  After this week our mail is to leave here on Sunday morng. and we get our letters Sunday eveg.  By this means, Mr Dean says, my letters will go immediately through, not laying over at Palatka and I hope will reach you the following Wednesday ‑ I shall get yours 24 hrs earlier than before.  I dont mind paying yr postage (I have made $5 by selling copperas) but I want to know why soldiers letters do not go free, as has been stated in the newspapers.

                Quite a number of men are now engaged in trying to get the St. Mary’s up – we hear she is soon to be filled up with iron plates &c for a gun boat.

                I suppose Willie has enjoined upon you as he has upon me, not to give credit to report until we are perfectly assured they are reliable. He says there “are any number of Bryans and some Bryants in the army and a Bryan in the Co H of the 3d. Regt. They are likely to meet with accidents and have their names confounded with his – He promises to write or get some one else to after any event of interest. His whole soul is in the cause – He says he is prepared for the worst and willing to risk the chances, for the sake of sharing in the trials and dangers of this War! He says his only anxiety is for those he loves. I must bring this to a close ‑ With love and kisses in abundance for you.

                                                                                                Mother

Referring to yr letter I think it must be the ferry about which you wanted information – The Cannons have the flat and will cross you at any time – At Osteen’s they can direct you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment